Puff pastry cheese sticks
Puff pastry cheese sticks with sesame seeds, cheese and nigella seeds
This is one of those dishes that I had planned to make forever but that are really so simple that you just never get around to actually making it. And let’s be honest; you don’t really need a recipe for this but they are insanely delicious. We are making these today to go with the celeriac and wild mushroom soup we’re having as a starter. So much better than whatever storebought variety you can find that is either too hard or completely tasteless.
You can sprinkle whatever you like on the cheesesticks or soup sticks or whatever you want to call them. Sesame seeds, poppyseeds, nigella seeds, cheese or wrap them in bacon. It’s all good. In this case we (Esmee and I made these together) wrapped two thin strips around each other. It looks quite bad before baking but once you pop it in the oven it will magically come together and look delicious and fancy.
Enjoy boxing day!
Puff pastry cheese stick
- 1 sheet of puff pastry (can be found in the fridge section of the supermarket
- 1 egg
- sesame seeds
- cheese, grated
- nigella seeds
- other coverings per your choice (like rosemary, thyme, bacon etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut into very thin strips.
- Take two strips per stick and fold them around each other. It doesn't matter all that much how you do it, as it will still look pretty once out of the oven.
- Brush with the egg and than sprinkle some of the seeds and/or cheese over the top.
- Put onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until puffed and golden