Prosciutto, pea & mozarella salad with mint vinaigrette
I really felt like eating something healthy today. After a weekend full of unhealthy stuff… it was about time! I had spend the weekend going through my (enormous) pile of cooking magazines and re-organized everything by title. You see; I have this magazine addiction which can take on very large proportions. I have to clean my ‘office’ once every so many months or it would be impossible to enter the room due to the piles and piles of magazines. Because; apart from having the addiction I also have a hard time letting go. Which means that there is stuff there that I really should be tossing out…
So yesterday I finally managed to do just that. I tossed out ALL magazines with the exception of all the cookings mags. I can always keep them with the excuse that they contain valuable information that I might one day need aka recipes… 🙂 Considering the amount of cookbooks I also have, I really don’t need all the magazines but it’s just so much fun! I can spend days reading my cooking magazines and yes, I do re-read them. They are (for now) all neatly arranged by title; Delicious, Olive, GoodFood, Donna Hay and then there is the pile of things I buy at random. I have German magazines, but also Italian ones!! And really; I do not speak more then two words Italian (Ciao and the equivalent of goodmorning, which I don’t know how to write…)
But ok, they are all neatly arranged, so I decided that today I needed to cook something from the latest Good Food which had a stack of great recipes in there and for lunch I wanted to have a salad, so I chose the Crispy prosciutto, pea & mozarella salad with mint vinaigrette.
Now the supermarket was out of mint, so that didn’t help and there was no other store anywhere in sight. I also did not have the option to use fresh peas so these came out of a can as you can – unfortunately – tell by the color. O well, the taste was quite lovely, even though I did not use the dressing that it was supposed to have.
For dinner I made another recipe from the same magazine which featured green asparagus, also prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and pasta and was absolutely delicious. No pictures though, so I will have to eat it again which is absolutely no punishment!
Here is the recipe of the salad:
Prosciutto, pea and mozarella salad
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 100 gr peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 ball of buffalo mozarella (aprox. 125 gr, torn into large pieces)
- For the vinaigrette:
- Juice 1/2 orange
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- small handfull of mint, leaves finely chopped, plus extra small leaves to serve.
1. Heat a fryingpan. Without adding any oil, fry the prosciutto slices untill wrinkled and crisp. Place on a sheet of kitchen roll, leave to cool, break into large shards then set aside.
2. Boil the peas in a pan of salted water for 2 minutes untill just tender. Meanwhile, mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together, season, then set aside. If making ahead, do not add the chopped mint until ready to serve, as it will discolour. When the peas are cooked, drain, then run them under cold water until completely cool. Pat dry with kitchen paper.
3. To serve, divide the mozarella between 2 plates, scatter the peas over and sit the prosciutto shards on top. Drizzle the dressing over and around and scatter with the mint leaves.