Mayo without egg??
I had always believed that to make mayo, an egg would be essential. But as it turns out it is surprisingly easy to make without an egg. Not sure if you still need to call it mayo, but veganaise sounds a little odd. The recipe is so simple to make you can do it in less than five minutes. Make sure you use soy milk for making it, as any other milk will not work. You can also make the mayo with the liquid you find in chickpea cans. Or so I’ve been told. Have yet to try it for myself.
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) neutral soy milk (without added sugars)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rice syrup
- 3/4 tsp fine seasalt
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 250 ml (1 cup) grapeseed oil
- Mix soy, lemon juice, vinegar, rice syrup, salt and mustard powder in a blender. Turn on on high speed.
- Turn down to slower speed and slowly add the oil in a small stream. The mixture will become thicker and eventually turn into a white airy mayonaise
- Pour into airtight container. You can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.