Last weekend we were in Belgium, where good friends Sandra and Alain were getting married…
We knew it wouldn’t be easy sticking to our whole30 program during a wedding… We had kind of foreseen that would be an issue and well not surprisingly we didn’t fully stick to it.
The dishes we got during dinner were actually quite ok; lots of fish and other beautiful produce. But well, you can’t really walk up to the chef after every single dish and ask how they prepared it exactly. “Listen to me mister chef. I hope you didn’t use any butter preparing that fish or did you add sugar to the dressing maybe? Cream in thes auce?’ And the list could go on. Not something you want to do.
So I have tried to stick to it for as best as I could, shoving a small grain based salad to the side and eating the fish and the vegetables and just simply enjoyed the food. I did skip dessert which in itself, is a major accomplishment for me!
So in terms of food I think I’ve done reasonably well if you don’t count any hidden ingredients. But.. and here it comes.. I did drink a few glasses of wine during dinner… And yes those are also very much off limits.
And yes I could just pretend that didn’t happen and just go on. But the rules are that you need to start over as soon as you make a mistake. And I do believe that if you do something, you should do it well, so that means that as of today we are back on day 1.
I will keep counting from where we were but just continue onwards once we reach the 30… I’m not too worried about it!
On top of that I will be leaving for Norway on wednesday for three days so that is going to be a major challlenge to stick to it so we might end up with a whole45 at the end of the day!
So what did we eat?
Breakfast : Omelette with bacon, bell peppers and spinach
Lunch: Grilled garlic broccoli with a piece of salmon (recipe you find here) and sorry for the some what terrible picture from my iphone but I was hungry.. lol) I was pointed to this recipe by Magda from Magda’s Cauldron and it sure was delicious, so thanks to Magda for pointing me to the Kitchn!
Dinner: chipotle meatballs with cauliflower couscous
Day 6 ( weddingday)
Breakfast; scrambled eggs, bacon and smoked salmon (we stayed at a hotel)
Lunch: nutbar (1,5) which we had taken with us plus a rocketsalad with chicken and bacon
Diner at restaurant het Komfoor
Fish, lobster, prawns, entrecote and vegetables during the dishes
Well and wine that is.
Breakfast: fruitsalad, orange juice and omelette with bacon (in B&B Jebola)
Lunch: strawberries with roasted macadamia’s and chia seeds (more a snack really as we weren’t hungry due to the heat)
Diner: rocket with salad with smoked chicken, tomatoes and poached egg
Roasted broccoli with garlic
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound broccoli
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- handful of pecan nuts
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
Red pepper flakes, optional
Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200 C. Cut the broccoli into smaller size florets and put them into an oventray.
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and the salt into a small food processor or stick blender and process until thick and creamy.
- Spread it over the broccoli and toss it so everything is coated with a little bit of the dressing.
- put into the oven and roast for about 12 to 15 minuten until everything is slightly brown on the edges and cooked enough.
- You can eat it hot or cold.
- Lovely with a piece of grilled salmon
Recipe from The Kitchn
- Travel: Workshop foodphotography and styling Londen – the recap - July 2, 2015
- Chicken salad with orange dressing and cherries - June 29, 2015
- Carrot salad with yogurt dressing and dukkah - June 26, 2015
- My New Roots – Sarah Britton - June 21, 2015
- What is a ‘whole30’?? And our results - June 13, 2015
This post is also available in: Dutch