Christmas dessert: Bundt cake with roasted marzipan
Sometimes I have these really
brilliant good ideas… If I may say so myself. You have to know that I am definitely not the best bread baker in the world. But I do love bread… So the fact that I can’t really produce a good loaf is quite a thing for me. A frustrating thing I might add. And of course now that Christmas is around the corner there will be that time when I would really love to make one of those gorgeous stollen. And the truth of the matter is that I will probably fail again to be left with a fairly decent piece of too dry stollen bread. So I thought to mysefl; what can I bake really well? And that is bundt cake. Well duh, I can hear you think, what’s the challenge in that?? Well maybe baking it is not such a big thing but coming up with good flavor combinations is not so easy. Or is it?
In either case I figured it would be a fun idea to try and incorporate some of the stollen flavors into a bundt cake. Sort of at least… And if I succeeded you should really try for yourself but I can guarantee you it is totally delicious. According to Tom this might just be the best bundt cake I have ever made. And the roasted marzipan in it is just the best ever… Sprinkle a fair amount of icing sugar over the top and it wil be a beautiful addition to your christmas table. I can’t wait to make it again!
O and the roasted marzipan I always get from my dear friend Meeta (who – by the way – has a killer recipe for stollen on her blog!) from Germany but of course if you can’t find it where you live it’s ok to use regular marzipan instead.
Bundt cake with roasted marzipan
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 175 gram of softened butter
- 250 gram golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp mixed ginger spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cardamom)
- 200 gram plain flour
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 75 grams ground almonds
- 170 gram soured cream
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 50 gram flaked toasted almonds
- 140 gram cranberries
- 100 gram marzipan
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and lightly dust a bundt tin of around 1,5 liter contents. Beat the sugar and the butter together until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs with a handful of flour and beat them in, followed by the vanilla and almond extract. Tip in half the remaining flour, half the ground almonds, half the soured cream and all the baking powder and spices and beat in.
- Cut the marzipan in small cubes and put them in a bowl. Dust with icing sugar and make sure each cube is lightly covered to prevent it sticking and forming one big clump of marzipan.
- Add the rest of the flour, almonds, sour cream and tip in the rest of the ingredients including the marzipan, cranberries and the flaked almonds.
- Pour into the tin and spread the top smooth. Put into the preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when put into the middle. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about ten minutes before you turn it out onto a cooling rack. Leave to cool completely.
- Dust liberally with icing sugar on all sides and don’t forget the bottom part. Enjoy!