Celeriac soup with crispy bacon bits
I am sure you have seen them here before; celeriac soup recipes. And to be honest; I think you cannot eat too much of this delicious vegetable. It’s pretty versatile too. You can eat it instead of potato puree, you can have it together with potato or make a soup out of it. Ad it to stews and the list goes on. Plus I think it is a perfect wintery dish. And with regards to our budget challenge; this soup is incredibly budget friendly.
The total cost for this soup for four people is just € 2,73, which makes it a budget winner with just € 1,37 for two! The prices per item are mentioned in the recipe plus where I bought the ingredient. You can ofcourse serve the soup with bread as I showed you here in the photo. We didn’t use bread (it’s an older photo) so this has not been taken into account for the budget
Celeriac soup with crispy bacon
Totale kosten voor vier personen €2.73
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soep, budgeet
- oliveoil € 0.20 (in stock)
- 100 gr bacon € 0.58 (Basis AH)
- bit of butter € 0,10 (euroshopper AH)
- 1 large onion, cut € 0,10 (in stock)
- 1 bay leave € 0.10 (AH)
- few thyme twigs, leaves removed and stalks kept separate € 0.20
- 1 celeriac, peeled and cut into cubes € 0,99 (AH)
- 850 ml chicken stock (from a cube) € 0.22 (in stock)
- 100 ml double cream € 0.24 (Basis AH)
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Bake your pancetta for about 3 minutes on each side until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan and leave to drain on kitchenpaper. Melt the butter in the same pan, add the onion, the bayleave and the thymestalks and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion starts to brown slightly. Add the celeriac and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the stock into the pot and leave to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the celeriac is soft. Stir the cream in and bring to the boil. Remove the bay leave and the thyme and puree the soup with a stickblender until smooth. Stir half of the thyme leaves into the soup and put into bowl. Serve with crispy bacon bits on top and some thyme leaves. Sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil.