This post is also available in: Dutch
While you’re reading this I will be running around in Norway… I’m sooo looking forward to it… Suitcase is packed, photo stuff is ready and we’re leaving early tomorrow morning. No it’s not a vacation and I will be going with a group of bloggers at the invitation of Visit Norway and the Region Stavanger. How cool is that? You’re likely gonna hear much more about it the coming days, so I will tell you what we did then. In the meantime feel free to follow me on Instagram, Twitter or facebook where I will be sharing live updates as we go.
I am a little worried about my whole30 while traveling. But I think I will be able to manage, apart from maybe that chocolate and cheese tasting… Moan…. I’m drooling just thinking about it!
“You should have planned it a little better” I can hear you think. But you know what, there is always something and if I let it go because of my crazy schedule than it’s just never gonna happen. I had a good conversation this week with Kim from Foodstyle. She is a nutritional coach and is gonna help me stay on track after the whole30 is over. Because in the end it is all about finding a balance between good and not so good… I am confident it’s gonna work this time!
But anyway.. That beetroot cauliflower couscous I promised you a while ago with the cracking chicken… Here it is. The recipe comes from the site Eat Drink Paleo which I totally love and go to all the time for paleo based inspiration!
Cauliflower beetroot couscous
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 medium raw beetroots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley or mint
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Juice of 2/3 medium lemon
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey (is optional, I left it out as it is not allowed on the whole30)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional but adds a nice touch)
- Heat a frying pan en roast your hazelnuts for about 2-3 minutes. Shake the pan often as they tend to go really fast and once burned are horrible. If you have hazelnuts with the skins on put them in a teatowel, let them cool slightly and then rub your hands together to remove the skin. They should come away easily.
- Bake the onion in the same pan in a bit of coconut oil for about 5-6 minutes with a bit of salt, until golden and soft. Place your beetroot, with the garlic and most of the hazelnuts into a foodprocessor and grind them into small crumbs
- Add the beetroot to your onion mix and cook them together for about a minute or two.
- Do the same grounding with the cauliflower florets and add this to the beetroots. bake for a couple of minutes and then turn out into a big bowl.
- Put your ingredients for the dressing together and mix them well. Pour the dressing over your beetroot cauliflower mix and taste if it needs extra salt or lemon. Garnish with some hazelnuts, parsley and mint.
Recipe by Eat Drink Paleo